Monday, January 19, 2015

Eating, the scale, and upcoming surgery shenans

My fourteen days of reasonable semi-strictness are over and now I’m trying to transition to being just kind of reasonable in a moderate way.  Whatever that means.  Setting goals is overrated.  I’ve decided I will probably weigh myself this Wednesday, my usual weigh-in day, after 3 weeks without to see where I’m at and then resume weekly WIs after that.  Or maybe every 2 weeks if I’m feeling crazy.

Timing-wise, I should probably still try to stay focused on healthy eating and working out and other stupid boring stuff for the next 7 weeks before surgery because I’m sure doing so will help my recovery.  I also won’t be able to work out for at least 4-6 weeks post-surgery and don’t want to think about what it will be like getting back into running and lifting shape after doing almost nothing for over a month.  Logic would suggest that if I keep up a solid gym routine until March 11 it will keep me in shape longer and make the transition easier afterward than if I start slacking now.  But trust me, it has crossed my mind that I should just start being lazy now since I’ll be terminating exercise soon anyway.  I’m an inherently sloth-like human being that loves dreaming of excuses to skip the gym.  Hopefully I can keep my lazy demons at bay for a little bit longer.

I’ve been having some conflicting thoughts on losing weight between now and surgery.  I mean let’s be real, I’m never NOT gonna wanna try to lose weight.. that’s always my end-game.  Which, as recent years has shown, doesn’t mean it happens.  And as I mentioned in an earlier post, one of the doctors I saw for a consult suggested that losing weight before surgery would give me the best results since it would be less weight to be lost/potential loose skin later.  On the other hand, I’ve been chillin at a weight my body is clearly quite comfortable with for awhile now.  If I lose 5 or 10 pounds (well, 10 pounds is an adorable pipe-dream) I’d be going into surgery at a weight I haven’t been at basically ever and haven’t maintained, and maybe would suck at maintaining.  What if I gain those LBs back right after surgery?  Anyway, lots of thoughts, and I’ll probably just keep doing what I’m doing and see what shakes out.  I’m definitely not going to be bummed out if I don’t lose more before surgery.

I’m getting bloodwork and seeing my rheumatologist next week to make sure everything looks good to go and my doc doesn’t think surgery is gonna make my lupus explode into death or anything.  I also scheduled my pre-op appointment for Feb. 9 to go over all the final gory details (like quitting BC pills 2 weeks out and not binge drinking as much or some such) and then it’s surgery time!  I can’t wait to get so damn annoying talking everyone’s ears off about it every day for the next 7 weeks + 2 days.  YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment